Image Via Up North Trips
Over at the LA Weekly, there is a list of the 20 Greatest L.A. Hip Hop Albums of All Time. I was one fourth of the selection committee, alongside Ian Cohen, Rebecca Haithcoat, and the music editor, healthiest man in Miracle Mile, Ben Westhoff. I drew Suga Free, Snoop, Freestyle Fellowship, Quik, and Madlib. Those are fun things to write about.
Predictably, the comment section has devolved into: “YO, 2PAC AIN’T EVEN FROM LA,” and “WHO MADE THIS LIST, TRANSPLANTS!” The selections and rankings are flawed because we are human beings, some of whom believe Goblin belongs on a Best LA Hip Hop Albums List. Who are we to say it doesn’t. Right now, there are 14 year old Fairfax skate rats who think it ought to be ranked higher. These lists reflect as much about the creators as the actual music itself. Inevitably, they will change tomorrow — as they should.
In the interest of self-disclosure and because I am of the 85% entertained by highly subjective art being objectively ordained, I wanted to publish my ballot. Apologies to MC Eiht, King T, Tha Alkaholiks, and Warren G. The latter would’ve made the cut had he had spelled “What’s Next” correctly. You are supposed to tell me what was missed and what was ridiculous. Say what you want, I will stand by Temples of Boom.
1. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle [Death Row, 1993]
2. Dr. Dre – The Chronic [Death Row, 1992]
3. The Pharcyde – Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde [Delicious Vinyl , 1992]
4. N.W.A. – Straight Outta Compton [Ruthless, 1988]
5. Ice Cube – Amerikka’s Most Wanted [Priority, 1990]
6. 2Pac – All Eyez on Me [Death Row, 1996]
7. DJ Quik – Quik is the Name [Priority, 1991]
8. Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Griots [4th & B’Way, 1993]
9. Cypress Hill – Temples of Boom [Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1995]
10. Madlib -Beat Konducta Vol. 5: Dil Cosby Suite [Stones Throw, 2009]
11. Suga Free - Street Gospel [Polygram, 1997]
12. Eazy E – Eazy Duz It [1988, Ruthless/Priority]
13. Dr. Dre – The Chronic 2001 [Aftermath/Interscope, 1999]
14. Ice – T – Original Gangster (OG) [Sire/Warner Bros, 1991]
15. Xzibit – At the Speed of Life [Loud/RCA, 1996]
16. Above the Law – Black Mafia Life [Ruthless, 1992]
17. The Game – Doctor’s Advocate [Geffen, 2006]
18. Low Profile - We’re in this Together [Priority, 1990]
19. Egyptian Lover – On the Nile [Egyptian Empire, 1983]
20. Earl Sweatshirt- Earl [Self-Released, 2010]