Aaron Frank is just another case about the wrong path
Every year, as the weather gets warmer, I always find myself trying to get outside more often to enjoy it. But with climate change destroying the weather patterns I grew accustomed to in my youth, spring essentially ceases to exist. In its place is a two-week long ascent into the oppressive humidity of summer, usually taking place in the run-up to Memorial Day weekend. Consequently, this all too brief sweet-spot is one of the best times to be outdoors with friends and family, so this month’s mix was made with barbecues, hikes and poolside reverie in mind.
To accent the mellow mood of these activities, I’ve limited the typical pounding dancefloor beats to include more R&B and hip-hop. On the hip-hop side, we have the latest from Shabazz Palaces, whose new album Lese Majesty threatens to be one of the best albums of the year. Also included is “Lac Lac” from Big K.R.I.T., a classically-styled southern hip-hop track complete with a Krazy Bone-style verse from ASAP Ferg and multiple references to candy paint. Paired alongside Eglo newcomer Fatima’s “Ridin Round (Sky High),” these two tracks alone should be enough to put you in the summer mindset. But if you aren’t there just yet, Hot Chip’s jaunty William Onyeabor cover will likely push you over the edge.
1. Movement – “Ivory”
2. Shabazz Palaces – “They Come In Gold”
3. Taylor McFerrin feat. Nai Palm – “The Antidote”
4. Matthewdavid – “In My Mind”
5. Young Magic – “Holographic”
6. Jacques Greene – “Time Again (Feel What)”
7. Leon Vynehall – “Time”
8. Martyn feat. Four Tet – “Glassbeadgames”
9. Little Dragon feat. Future – “Klapp Klapp” (Nosaj Thing Remix)
10. Fatima – “Ridin Round (Sky High)”
11. Big K.R.I.T. feat. ASAP Ferg – “Lac Lac”
12. Hot Chip – “Atomic Bomb” (William Onyeabor cover)