- KirbLaGoop – “Russian Cream” Prod. Jaguar Claw X Sweatergod X Wavegod
- Lil Xelly – “Save It”
- LUCKALEANNN — “I GOT CELLPHONES _ OOGIE MANE RMX”
- Linus – “oh my goodness ⛸(af1s)” + lil marley
- BLACK KRAY – “THOUSAND ROSE” [PROD BY F1LTHY & THE LOOSIE MAN]]
- COWBOYKILLERR – “OLD SHAWTY” (prod. MP5K + LOKO LOS )
- 4jay – *4JAY MIX* BLXXD MXXN
- BBY GOYARD – “ENTER THE EXPERIENCE” [Prod. by dontsleep]
- Lil Xelly – “Rain Reign (xansung)”
- Hi-c – “Yrrr Mind”
- GAWD – “EYES ONDA PRIZE”
- DRETTI FRANKS – “The Bomb” (Prod. Dretti Franks)
- Kappa x Eyekeem x Steele 11′ – “Do Re Mi” (Prod. By JVLES)
- Playboi Carti – “LSD”
- BIGBABYGUCCI – “FEELS LIKE A RUSH” PROD. HAROLD HARPER + SMOOVEMADEIT
- GEHRMAN – “SCENE QUEEN!” 「PROD. DEMXNTIA」
- bioQuery – “LUVSIK”
- Atmoskhan – “LA BOOST IN PARIS (FREESTYLE)”
- WIFIGAWD X Diamondsonmydick – “Transporter” prod. me pussy
- Hi-c – :Elfen lied 222″ (prod. NEDARB)
- Diamondsonmydick – “Ima Pull Up” (Prod. By A – Bluntz)
- Lofty305 – “No One Else Matters”
- Ruben Slikk & LaFlareMIA – “Bootd Up” (prod. LaFlareMIA)
- Yung Lean – “Creep Creeps”
- MARCYMANE & LOW LOV – “JUGPAN” (PROD. BY LIL DMT)
- Mandagotbandz – “Icy Af.” Feat. Suavi Gualla X Symone
- BLACK KRAY MUSIC – “ALL WHITE RAIN” [PROD BY JAYYEAH]
“Some music’s too advanced … Some music’s too big for time.” – Young Thug
Here’s a selection of the heat that’s been bubbling under the tectonic plates of the mainstream all summer. It’s SoundCloud distortionists making music the word “celestial” feels too small for. It starts with some classic KirbLaGoop squeaks to fend off those uncomfortable with weird shit. There’s a Nedarb earthquake, some dirty Texas bump from Dretti Franks, chants about cellphones, maniacal laughter from the depths of hell, and a great Keef homage. Mostly summer songs, but some older jams slipped in. — Harley Geffner
A few highlights:
bioQuery – “LUVSIK”
bioQuery’s beats are like an AI trying to mimic human emotion, assembling all the subtle fragments that people indicated were markers of that emotion, with an edge of metallicism. One of his tapes is literally called “Posthuman Angst” and it sounds exactly like that. After having grown up around LA as a Low End Theory regular and beat head, he spent like two years in Japan and used that time to learn about all the synths made out there. On “LUVSIK,” you can hear solar flares reaching out to touch his synthetic bubbles, one squiggle at a time. B11ce’s vocals swirl and grasp on to the flares as they come in. It feels like lying in a grass field and catching visual tracers from glancing at the sun for too long. Yet you still keep wandering your eyes that way because those tracers give you a sort of high.
The song comes off his recent tape, LINKS Vol. 1, which has tracks with members of Anti-World, one of which he described as the voices that run through your head during a panic attack trying to escape (IGNITE).
MARCYMANE & LOW LOV – “JUGPAN” (PROD. BY LIL DMT)
Marcy Mane is in love with Japan too. The DMV supercreator spawned from Goth Money references the country in what feels like 60% of his tracks. Even his paintings are made with Japanese acrylic. A friend of mine recently returned from a few weeks in Japan and described, among positive things, a dull hum sitting atop society, where everyone just glides through life in tiny, soundless cars and is strictly polite to the point of it all feeling dreamlike. Marcy captures that dreamy dystopian state, but instead of falling victim to what could be a rigid suffocation, he repackages the omnipresent neon into something more empowering. Less stifling, the systemic malaise frees Marcy’s mind to not have to dwell on the trifling little aspects of daily existence and live in the stratosphere above, where he’s speaking to the universe in grey cybertones and asking “Can. you. hear. me?”
Hi-c – “Yrrr Mind” / “Elfen lied 222”
Hi-c disfigures normal space and time with raven crows, roadrunner zooms, anime yelps, and full-speed freights smashing into your frontal cortex. He opens and closes gaps in his beats with shimmery bolts of adrenaline fueled by an ungodly amount of Adderall. On a song like Yrrr Mind though, he smooths out his frenetic energy into rolling surfs washing ashore. He’s one of the most versatile and interesting producers out right now and he’s been on a crazy run the last year or so. Fortunately, he’s not suffering from the Pi’erre plague either, as he’s a creative and talented rapper in his own right. Rapping over Nedarb’s shaking Elfen beat, he deadpans about crashing his 2-door and his brains splashing on the dashboard. It’s the type of visual that will stick with you.
Linus – “oh my goodness ⛸(af1s)” + lil marley
Here’s the great Keef homage. Bonus points for the “stunting on haters like Drakeo” bar.
BBY GOYARD – “ENTER THE EXPERIENCE” [Prod. by dontsleep]
Bbygoyard made a game console from Drake and Josh the basis of an entire song. Never heard of a hotter concept.